Sunday 27 September 2009

Croydon Switchback 5 - My inaugural cross country race

Today was my first cross country race. The event was the Croydon Switchback 5 - a 5 mile race through Croydon's Lloyd Park and surrounding hills.

As I found out, it was tough. Having thought it was going to be more of 5 mile race round the park I wasn't prepared for the hills 2 miles into the race. We seemed to be running up and down constantly. I was almost getting dizzy. Fortunately they didn't last too long, and then it was back to a flatter course.

The last 2-3 miles was more forgiving and I made up a few places. The final result was 44th out of 103 with a time of 38:31, a nice sub-8-minute per mile. Sweet!

The club did well too, taking 5 awards, including second placed runner and first place women's team. Not too shabby.

Next, Streatham Common cross country 6 miler? I think so.

No comments: