Sunday 13 April 2008

London Marathon Day

35,000 runners ran the London Mrathon today. Having run in 2001, experienced the superb atmosphere, and been rejected for the past four years, I was slightly envious. But I wasn't ready to run 26 miles, so I wasn't too concerned. Plus, I have the Edinburgh Marathon to worry about.



Having taken a week off because of a sore knee, I needed to do some serious training. The plan had been 16 miles. Nobody was up for the trip to Thames Embankment and back so we headed out to on a 10 mile route southwards, my plan being to add a few miles on at the end.

We set out. How many made it back I won't know until Tuesday (track day). Four of us took the 'wise' decision of taking a detour to add on a few miles and toughen up the course. Hmmm.. That quickly went awry. Rain, traffic and wrong turnings split us up and after about 30-40 minutes we became 3, then 2, and then I was on my own. I kept going, rain lashing down, not really knowing where I was going.

After a calculated detour I made it back to base. Noone was about. The continued rain and lack of a clubhouse (being refurbished) meant there was nothing to hang about for anyway. So I went home catch up on the the Marathon.

My distance? I can only guess. Roughly 13 miles?? Not ideal, but I'm back with the plan and looking to a good run next week. 16 miles? I hope so, if only so I don't get bored promising it to myself. LOL.

Oh yeh, and I've just applied for next year's London Marathon. This will be my 5th year in a row that I've applied to run my second London Marathon. I loved it in 2001 and seriously hope I get in again this time. We shall see...

No comments: