Sunday 6 April 2008

Ceilidh-induced pain and snow in London hinders 16 mile plans

This weekend was an important two days for London and athletics. It is the last weekend before the London Marathon - last chance for participants to manage a training run before a pre-race week of rest. Also, the Olympic flame is being carried across the city in a 31 mile relay. And, I hoped to manage a 16 mile long run. For many of us none of this went quite as planned.

London has been eveloped in snow! It usually only happens about once in every 3 or 4 years, but this is the second time in 3 weeks! I woke this morning to see the white stuff falling past the window, covering the ground and putting paid to my plans. However, after Friday night, this may have been a blessing in disguise.

You probably guessed it from the title, I went to a Ceilidh on Friday. After dragging myself up on Saturday afternoon I felt my calves and my knees like never before. I was in bloody agony!! A Saturday long run was right out! And today I felt not much better, the snow being almost a relief.

Anyhoo, I eventually dragged my sorry ass out for a run this evening. After some stretching, I staggered round the local park a couple of times. That's 4 miles. Rubbish!! Nowhere near what I wanted. But, hopefully next week we'll do the same as last year - head into Embankment, watch a few minutes of the London Marathon before running back to base. That's roughly 16 miles :-) Wish me luck.

No comments: